The Coffee Bros is reader-supported. Affiliate links on our site may earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you.
The iced latte macchiato vs caramel macchiato, you’ve probably heard of both these drinks before, but what makes them different? It can sometimes be hard to differentiate the two, especially when they’ve both got similar names!
So in the interest of making everything that much easier for coffee lovers, we’ve decided to answer this question in the most simple way possible.
So, let’s not delay any longer and get started answering this interesting question.
Iced Latte Macchiato vs Caramel Macchiato: The Simple Answer
The main difference between the two is that iced latte macchiatos are ⅓ milk at the bottom, ⅓ espresso in the middle, and then ⅓ foamed milk at the top. You can usually see the split clearly when this drink is served in a see-through glass.
A normal macchiato, in comparison, is only a shot of espresso with foamed milk on top, making it stronger tasting than make other coffee drinks. Caramel macchiatos also have vanilla syrup and caramel sauce mixed in, which iced latte macchiatos do not.
Both can be served piping hot or ice cold and still retain their exquisite taste.
Iced Latte Macchiato: What Is It?
The iced latte macchiato is a simple drink but packed with a lot of punch, making it a delicious mainstay in millions of cafes around the globe.
The name comes from the Italian word for ‘stained’ milk and refers to the brownish stain on the milk thanks to the espresso used.
It is known as a layered drink, thanks to you being able to see each layer when looking at it through a glass cup.
In short, a latte macchiato is known for being ⅓ milk, ⅓ espresso, and ⅓ foamed milk, in that order.
An iced latte macchiato is the same as above, just with a cup of ice and cold milk added to the mix.
This makes it the perfect drink for kicking back and relaxing during a sweltering summer’s day, as a soothing iced latte macchiato cools you down.
How to Make an Iced Latte Macchiato
To make an iced latte macchiato, you’ll just need coffee, milk, ice cubes, and a milk frother, as well as a tall and clear glass.
After you’ve gathered the ingredients, here’s what you need to do to make it:
1. First of all, you should grab some ice and put it in your glass.
2. After this, it’s time to froth your milk.
3. When this is done, pour the nicely frothed milk onto the ice in the glass.
4. Now you should add the shot of espresso.
5. Aim to pour it directly into the center of the milk foam to provide the effect of the layers.
6. And there you have it! A splendidly refreshing iced latte macchiato.
As shown above, this is surprisingly easy to make and can be done in around 2 minutes.
Caramel Macchiato: A Macchiato With a Caramel Twist
A caramel macchiato is extremely similar to its counterpart; the main difference is its vanilla-flavored syrup and the caramel sauce which is added on top of the drink.
The caramel macchiato is not so strong coffee-wise compared to a simple Espresso, for instance, but has a strong kick thanks to the sweet caramel taste it provides.
However, saying this, it is a lot stronger than a latte macchiato. As explained earlier, a latte macchiato is an espresso with a lot of steamed milk and a layer of foamed milk on top.
This contrasts with a macchiato, which only contains an espresso with a small layer of frothed milk added on top. As a result, a macchiato is much stronger than a latte macchiato.
How to Make a Caramel Macchiato
If you’re looking to make a caramel macchiato, you’ll need milk, a milk frother, vanilla syrup, caramel sauce, espresso, a coffee machine, and your favorite cup.
Got all the ingredients ready? Perfect, let’s go into the steps you’ll need to take to make a delicious caramel macchiato.
1. Firstly, make an espresso.
2. After doing this, start warming up the milk and frothing it using your milk frother. If you don’t have a milk frother with you, use a whisk instead to get similar results.
3. Add vanilla syrup into the cup first to get that extra flavor.
4. Now it’s time to add the espresso.
5. Then, when the milk is done, pour the frothy milk out and onto the top of the drink. Be careful when you do this, and pour it evenly around the espresso for optimal macchiato results.
6. Finally, add the caramel sauce onto the top of the froth to give the drink that caramel kick that caramel macchiatos are renowned for.
7. And there you have it! Why not add a cup of ice to turn it into an iced caramel macchiato for those hot summer days when you need a bit of refreshment?
Iced Latte Macchiato VS Caramel Macchiato: The Differences in Full
So, as explained above, there are quite a few differences between the two.
We can’t possibly say which one is better, we like them both in many different ways! Why not try it yourself? You never know, you could have your new favorite coffee drink on your hands.
If you’re interested in reading more blogs like this one, subscribe to the Coffee Bros today.
It’s completely free and keeps you updated with the latest coffee news, recipes, and much more.