The Coffee Bros is reader-supported. Affiliate links on our site may earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you.
The iced horchata latte is one of the best drinks you can have in the summer when you want to cool down. It’s a blend of the Mexican horchata drink and an iced latte, and this iced horchata latte recipe is a great one to try out.
Iced Horchata Latte: What Is It?
Iced Horchata latte is a fantastic drink for those with a sweet taste. It consists of coffee, water, milk, brown rice, almonds, cinnamon, and sugar.
This may sound like a unique assortment of ingredients, but when it’s all mixed together, it provides a great sweet taste, perfect for relaxing in the summer.
It comes from the Mexican Horchata drink, also known as Horchata de Arroz, which is a milk drink with rice and other spices. It is believed to have first originated in Africa in 2,400 B.C. and is now sold in cafes all over the world.
Iced Horchata Latte Recipe: What You Need
So, now that you know what it is, you are probably wondering how to make it.
Before we carry on, let’s first explain the ingredients and equipment you will need.
What Ingredients Should You Use?
Below are the ingredients which will be ideal for making this great drink. However, you can change and adapt them to suit your own tastebuds the more you make it.
¼ cup of rice is necessary to make this drink. You can choose between white and brown rice. However, white jasmine rice usually produces the best-tasting and smelling iced horchata latte.
Fresh coffee beans would be best for this drink. When grinding it up, make sure to go for a coarse grind to make straining the coffee as easy as possible. 2 tablespoons of coffee beans should make it taste splendid.
Now it’s time to go nuts! A ¼ cup of crushed almonds will add a nutty taste while also providing you with some healthy fats when drinking it.
This is a must for any horchata drink. ½ a cinnamon stick is recommended here and provides an unusual yet stunning taste and smell that entices anyone into trying the drink.
Adding ¼ cup of sugar will increase the sweet flavor of this latte.
For this one, you need 1 cup of sweetened evaporated milk for this drink to taste exquisitely sweet.
What Equipment You Need
You can’t make this drink without the right equipment. Here’s what equipment you need to make this sweet refreshing drink.
A good quality blender is necessary to reduce the amount of silt that is likely to be found at the bottom of the drink after mixing the ingredients together.
At the Coffee Bros, we particularly recommend the Black + Decker Crush Master for Horchata lattes due to its ability to blend effectively, reducing the amount of silt in the bottom of your drink:
Using a french press is easy to do, and we recommend using it for this iced horchata latte recipe. However, if you only have instant coffee or an espresso machine, you can still make this drink taste just as nice. Find our recommended french press machine below:
A good grinder is vital for not just coffee, but for grinding down the cinnamon and almonds needed to make the iced horchata latte. If you have an automatic coffee grinder, then this will work very well for making this drink.
However, if you are wondering how to grind coffee beans without a grinder, an old-school mortar and pestle or even a rolling pin will do the trick just as well.
Making the Coffee
So, before we get started on the full iced horchata latte recipe, let’s quickly show you how to make the coffee for this drink using a french press.
It won’t be complete without coffee, and everyone loves a bit of coffee.
To make an espresso from a french press, which is what you need to make an iced horchata latte, you need to do the following:
1. Grind your 2 tablespoons of beans.
2. After that, heat up your french press with warm water for a couple of minutes.
3. Once you have done this, empty it and add your grounded coffee to the french press.
4. Add hot water to the coffee and start stirring.
5. Once you have stirred the mixture sufficiently, wait a few minutes for it to brew.
6. Then, put the french press lid on and start pressing down. Do this slowly to ensure the best results.
7. And you’re done!
The Iced Horchata Latte Recipe In Full
So, now that you’ve collected all the necessary ingredients, it’s time to get started on the recipe.
1. First of all, you need your rice, cinnamon, evaporated milk, and 3 cups of water. Once you’ve collected these ingredients, add them to your blender.
2. Turn the blender on. Once the rice has been blended into small sand-like particles, pour the mixture into a container and add 3 more cups of water before stirring.
3. After this is done, cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
4. Now, return it to the blender, and blend the mixture more until the mixture is broken down into smaller pieces.
5. Once the mixture has a smooth consistency, strain it with a sieve and place it in your fridge.
6. Now grab a glass, and put a few ice cubes in it before adding the coffee.
7. After the mixture has turned cold, take it out of the fridge and have a quick taste. Not sweet enough? Add some sugar until it is exactly to your liking.
8. Now pour the mixture on top of the ice and coffee, and you have yourself a delicious iced horchata latte.
9. Sprinkle any leftover cinnamon you have on top of the drink for extra taste, and kick back and relax while enjoying this cool refreshing drink.
Try Out This Delicious Drink Today
So, you should now be able to make this drink easily. This is a great drink to have in the summer to cool you down and feel refreshed. Try it out today and let us know what you think.