The Coffee Bros is reader-supported. Affiliate links on our site may earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Have you just bought the latest and greatest Breville espresso machine? Great! However, while spending your precious time staring at the shiny beauty of this machine, you are probably thinking to yourself the following: how long does a Breville espresso machine last?
Well, buckle up as we dispel some cold hard truths about the Breville espresso machine and how long you can expect to make delicious brown liquid out of it.
From Humble Beginnings
When talking about espresso machines, coffee connoisseurs often can’t stop themselves from mentioning the word Breville when talking about the highest quality machine you can buy. And there’s a reason for this; since its humble beginnings in 1932, the Sydney-based coffee company has become an iconic espresso brand sold in more than 70 countries worldwide.
But what makes them so successful?
Well, the following:
Easy to Use
Fantastic Customer Service
Extensive List of Features
How Long Does a Breville Espresso Machine Last? The Answer Revealed
Although this changes from person to person, you’ll find that your Breville espresso machine lasts between five to seven years on average. However, this only happens if you constantly take care of your shiny machine and relentlessly clean it to ensure it looks and acts pristine for longer.
How to Keep Your Breville Machine in Great Condition for Longer
Forget algebra equations! There is only one equation you need to remember when thinking about your beautiful Breville:
Clean machine = clean coffee
Otherwise, you risk infecting your fresh cup of coffee with stale grinds and calcified milk.
Here’s what you should do cleaning-wise to continue having delicious coffee for longer without needing to spend the big bucks on a new machine.
- First of all, you should always clean your group head. What’s a group head? In short, it is a metal component at the front that takes water out of the espresso machine and into your filter basket.
You can do this by using a blind filter. You can recognize it from its round shape and that it can fit perfectly into the portafilter. Once you’ve placed the blind filter on the empty portafilter, push it into the group head and run a shot as you normally would.
After all this, the residue should come running out into the drip tray, cleaning the group head.
- We recommend that you now should also clean the steam wand. This component dispels high-pressurized steam so you can make great microfoam for your coffees. Firstly, you should open your steam wand before and after using it to clear any excess liquids.
It’s also a good idea to clean off the steam wand with a towel.
Once every few weeks, if you have time, soak the wand tip in boiling water to ensure no residue gets stuck in the holes every time you use it.
- In the water tank, you will find your filter. Many people don’t know they need to be changed every three months. So why not make a note in your calendar every three months to replace it?
If you don’t do this, excess minerals and scale content will clog up your machine, causing you to need to descale it, which is not a fun job.
How to Descale a Breville Espresso Machine
Sometimes, no matter how thoroughly you clean your machine, it may still need descaling. A clogged-up water tank could be the issue if water flows out of your espresso machine slower than usual.
All you need is the following:
White vinegar (or a descaling solution)
Check out the steps below:
- First, you need to mix your ingredients. Ensure there is 50% vinegar/descaling solution and 50% water for best results.
- Then fill your water tank to the brim with the mix.
- After this, run a brew cycle until the water tank is empty.
- Add water and run another brew cycle to ensure your coffee doesn’t taste of vinegar.
- And there you go!
How to Reset a Breville Espresso Machine
If you’re having problems with your Breville machine, the best thing to do is to reset it.
There are a few things you need to do when wondering how to reset a Breville espresso machine:
First, you need to find the button on your Breville espresso machine that says “Program” and hold on to it until you hear a beep sound three times. Then you can let go of the button. It should reset back to its original setting.
Enjoy a Great Breville Machine for Longer
Whether you have just bought your first Breville or have been using one for a long time, it is vital to learn how to look after it properly to use it for longer.
Are you interested in reading more articles like this one? Sign up for the Coffee Bros mailing list today, and you can get monthly updates of our latest posts to enjoy while sipping on your lovely Breville-made coffee.