The Coffee Bros is reader-supported. Affiliate links on our site may earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you.
There’s nothing better on an icy cold winter’s day than to sip some delicious hot chocolate. Everyone likes hot chocolate, and why wouldn’t they? Those tasty tones of soft cocoa and that immediate feeling of warmth are perfect for making any day just that little bit better. But, that leads to the question: how do you make hot chocolate in a coffee maker?
If you don’t have a specific chocolate maker at home, you are probably wondering what the best ways to make it are, and if you can do so with your very own coffee maker.
Take a look at this article as we explain how to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker, and much more. You’ll be making great hot chocolates from the comfort of your own home in no time!
How Do You Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker? The Quick Answer
If you’re looking to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker, here’s what you need to do.
First, put the hot chocolate in a cup. Then, you should add around 2 ounces of hot water from the coffee maker to the cup. After this, start frothing the milk using the milk frother function and put it in the hot chocolate mixture.
There you have it, a delicious hot chocolate made from your coffee maker!
Make Sure You Have Great Chocolate Powder
So, there are many different kinds of chocolate powder you can get. However, each one usually varies in quality, and how easy it is to make the drink with these powders.
Hot Chocolate Powder Mix
The easiest way to make great hot chocolate is to use hot chocolate powder mix. When buying hot chocolate powder mix, it is always a good idea to read the label.
Some hot chocolate mixes include powdered milk in them, and as such only require hot water.
As we will be making hot chocolate in a coffee maker and including the milk afterwards, this type of hot chocolate powder mix is not a good idea to use.
At the Coffee Bros, we recommend that you find a hot chocolate powder with no powdered milk and a low amount of artificial sweeteners.
If you’re looking to make the best hot chocolate you’ve ever tasted, you should always use cocoa powder.
However, this is also the most difficult chocolate powder to use as there is much more room for it to go wrong.
Cocoa powder is completely natural in comparison with factory-made hot chocolate mix, so the naturally occurring chemicals provide a richer taste.
Make sure that all the cocoa powder is evenly distributed before adding first the hot water and then the milk, otherwise it will not taste how it should.
How Do You Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker? An In-Depth Guide
Making hot chocolate in a coffee maker is relatively easy to do. However, the steps to make hot chocolate vary depending on what type of coffee machine you have.
So, let’s take a look at the step-by-step guides on how to make hot chocolate with these different coffee machine types.
How to Make Hot Chocolate With a Drip Coffee Maker
If you have a drip coffee maker, you are probably wondering how to make hot chocolate when using this machine.
If you are one of these people wondering this question, take a look at this step-by-step guide below.
First of all, you need these ingredients and equipment to make hot chocolate:
- Drip Coffee Maker
- Hot chocolate mix/cocoa powder
- Optional: chocolate sprinkles/marshmallows
- A cup
Now, let’s take a look at the steps to make this drink:
1. To start with, fill the coffee maker with water, just like you would when making a coffee.
2. After this, add the hot chocolate mix/cocoa powder into the coffee section of your coffee maker. It’s best to aim for around two spoons of the powder. If you have too much, it will be too bitter, and if you don’t add enough, you won’t be able to taste the chocolate.
3. Now it’s time to turn on your coffee maker. Wait a while for it to boil the mixture.
4. After this is boiled, stir it for around 30 seconds until all the powder is completely dissolved into the hot chocolate.
5. Add marshmallows or chocolate sprinkles to the top and you are all good to go!
How to Make Hot Chocolate With an Espresso Machine
Making coffee is extremely tasty and relatively easy to make when using an espresso machine. The same also applies when you’re making hot chocolate.
To make it, you need the following ingredients and equipment:
- The finest cup of your choice
- Hot chocolate mix/cocoa powder
- Milk Jug
- Optional: chocolate sprinkles
Here are the steps:
1. First of all, grab the milk jug, pour around 300ml of milk into it and add around two tablespoons of hot chocolate mix or cocoa powder.
2. After this is done, start steaming the milk and the chocolate mix.
3. Wait until it is piping hot before pouring it into the finest cup of your choice. A good indicator that it is hot enough is if you can feel your finger burning after touching the bottom for more than a few seconds.
4. And there you have it!
5. Add some chocolate sprinkles on top or a few marshmallows if you prefer that extra taste and you have a delicious hot chocolate for you to drink, all made from your own coffee machine.
How to Make Hot Chocolate With a Capsule Coffee Machine
Using a capsule machine is one of the easiest ways to make delicious coffee. However, using this machine to make hot chocolate is a bit more difficult.
So, what sort of ingredients and equipment do you need?
First of all, it depends on the capsules you can get. It’s recommended to find a capsule that contains hot chocolate inside. However, if this can’t be found, use a milk powder capsule instead.
(It’s advised to first check the capsule machine manual to ensure that it will work with a milk powder capsule or a hot chocolate capsule).
- A nice cup
- Capsule Coffee Machine
- Milk/Hot Chocolate Powder
- Hot chocolate capsule/milk powder capsule
- Optional: chocolate sprinkles/marshmallows/peppermint
Making a Hot Chocolate Using a Hot Chocolate Capsule
1. First of all, insert the hot chocolate capsule into the capsule coffee machine and turn it on.
2. While this is boiling, heat the milk.
3. Then pour the heated milk into the hot chocolate.
4. Add some extras if you prefer, whether that is marshmallows, chocolate flakes, or peppermint, and you have a fantastic cup of hot chocolate for you to devour!
Making a Hot Chocolate Using a Milk Powder Capsule
1. First things first, add the hot chocolate powder to the cup.
2. Then put the milk powder capsule into the capsule coffee machine before pressing the button to heat it.
3. Stir the mixture in thoroughly, ensuring that all the powder has been mixed in properly.
4. Add any extras that you would prefer and you have yourself a scrumptious hot chocolate!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Without a Coffee Maker
If you don’t have a coffee maker and still want to make great hot chocolate, you are probably wondering what you should do. Take a look here as we let you know how to make it without any equipment at all.
You need the following ingredients:
- Cocoa powder/hot chocolate mix
- A Cup
- Any extras you want to add
So, here’s the step-by-step guide on how to make it without a coffee machine:
1. Put the hot chocolate powder into the cup.
2. Then, add boiled water. You only need to add around 200ml or else it will either taste bitter or not taste chocolatey enough.
3. Add some milk, stir it in and you’re good to go.
4. Feel free to add any more extras to make your hot chocolate sweeter.
What is a Mocha?
You’ve probably heard of a mocha, but what is it?
In short, it’s a shot of espresso, mixed in with chocolate powder and milk. It is quite similar to a latte, in that it is 1/3 espresso and 2/3 steamed milk.
Many people all around the world love the taste of a mocha. Its deliciously sweet, chocolatey and coffee flavours make it the perfect coffee drink for hot chocolate lovers.
The coffee was first named after the mocha bean, which is an extremely chocolatey flavoured coffee bean, originally grown in Yemen.
Nowadays, the name ‘mocha’ doesn’t reference the coffee bean but the chocolatey flavour that is uncommon in most coffee drinks.
How Do I Make a Mocha?
A mocha is an easy drink to make. Just make a coffee, as you would usually, and just add chocolate powder!
However, to make things simpler, let me give you a step-by-step guide on how to make the perfect mocha for you to enjoy whenever you feel like enjoying a succulent chocolate-flavoured coffee.
First of all, you need the ingredients for making this drink. We recommend the following:
- A cup
- Hot chocolate mix/cocoa powder/chocolate syrup
- Coffee: Although real mochas are made using espresso, you can also use whatever coffee you have on hand, and the taste will still be similar
- Optional Ingredients: cream, chocolate sprinkles, extra sugar
So, without further ado, let’s go explain all the steps to make a splendid-tasting mocha:
1. Firstly, you should make the coffee. Whether this is done using a capsule machine, a drip coffee maker or something else.
2. After this, add the chocolate powder. Mix it in well so you cannot see any of the powder left and it looks smooth.
3. When this is done, it’s time to steam the milk.
4. After this is completed, pour the milk onto the coffee and chocolate powder mix.
5. Finally, add any extras you want to add, whether that’s extra cream, chocolate sprinkles or more sugar to give it a sweeter taste, and you’re good to go.
Make Hot Chocolate and Mochas the Easy Way With This Guide
So, now you should know the answer to how do you make hot chocolate in a coffee maker as well as being able to make a delightful mocha.
Simply follow our instructions and you’ll be a hot chocolate pro in no time!
If you’re interested in reading more interesting coffee-related articles like this one while on your morning commute, subscribe to the Coffee Bros today.