The Coffee Bros is reader-supported. Affiliate links on our site may earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you.
The Amish are known for not using any electrical appliances or new equipment to live their lives. So how do Amish make coffee?
Take a look at this article on the steps you need to take to make coffee like the Amish.
Who are the Amish?
The Amish are a group of people who follow the Anabaptist Christian church. They traveled all the way from Europe to the US after being persecuted for their beliefs in their home country of Switzerland. There are currently 344,670 Amish people living in the US, of which the majority are from Pennsylvania.
What makes them stand out from other Christian denominations is their view to be completely self-sufficient by not adopting modern technology or electricity, and living a simple life.
How Do Amish Make Coffee? The Answer
The Amish are known for their alternative lifestyle. They don’t use any form of electricity in their homes! Because of this, you are probably wondering how they make coffee.
Well, to answer the question, the majority of the time they use the french press or the pour-over technique to brew their coffee. These are two great techniques for making fantastic coffee that uses very little modern technology or electricity, making it a great way to drink coffee while still keeping to their beliefs.
How to Make a Coffee With a French Press
Making a coffee with a french press is an awesome way to make delicious coffee without the use of electricity or complicated technology.
A french press is relatively cheap and has been around for many years.
What’s more, it’s extremely easy. Whether you are a complete beginner at making coffee or an experienced pro, you will be able to easily make it either way. One other great advantage to the french press is that it tastes amazing.
To do this, you only need a french press, water, and coffee.
So, let’s go through the steps to making great french press coffee below:
1. First, you need to grind the coffee beans. This can be done with a special coffee grinder, or you can even do it Amish style with a mortar and pestle.
2. After this, you should heat up the water. This can be done on a fire or a gas stove.
3. Pour the hot water into the coffee cup with the coffee in it.
4. Leave the mixture to brew for around 4 minutes.
5. Slowly and methodically push down on the french press, pushing all the ground coffee to the very bottom.
6. After this, it should be all good to drink.
How to Make a Coffee With the Pour-Over Technique
This is another famous coffee-making technique used by the Amish without needing to use technology or electricity.
So, let’s check out the step-by-step guide for the pour-over technique:
1. Firstly, you should grind the coffee beans into a fine consistency.
2. Then, bring the water to a boil.
3. Using a paper filter, fold it, and insert it on top of the pour-over coffee jug.
4. Slightly wet the paper filter to stop the coffee from having any taste of paper in it.
5. Add the ground coffee to the filter and shake so that it is evenly distributed.
6. After this, add some more water to cover the coffee grounds and wait for around 40 seconds.
7. Now it’s time to add the rest of the water. Pour the remaining hot water, moving it around in circles so every coffee granule is wet. The coffee will then begin to slowly filter into the jug.
8. After all the coffee grounds have been poured into the pour-over coffee jug, you can now enjoy your delicious coffee. Success!
Now You Know How to Make Great Coffee Without Electricity
So, now you should know two great ways to make delicious coffee without the need for new technology or electricity.
If you’re interested in reading more intriguing articles like this one, subscribe to The Coffee Bros today.